Monday, April 6, 2009

Sleepwalker Showcase: Likwuid


The first time I became acquainted with Likwuid was on the cover of her “Likwuidation” album back in 2003. So like any guy I was thinking…“She’s cute. She raps? I doubt she’s any good.” (I’m sure being a woman in the Hip Hop industry is tough, because we look at them first and scrutinize them the hardest!) Likwuid is one of my favorite female rap artists to this day because when I heard her talent, her heart, and her passion come through the speakers for the first time…I haven’t doubted her since. In fact I respected her for dispelling any stereotypes I had by letting her talent speak instead of femininity (while she still embraced it wholesomely) and even more so as a person when we first officially met. Years later she’s still demanding respect and dispelling stereotypes through one simple word: action. To me, she is an inspiration as a Sleepwalker chasing and living her dreams that you shouldn’t sleep on!

Born in the suburbs of Columbia, South Carolina, entrepreneur, activist and hip hop artist, LaShanna Mickens, better known by friends and fellow music makers as “Likwuid”, has made a commitment to change the negative portrayal of women in the entertainment industry. Upon moving to New York City, Likwuid along with two childhood friends decided to form a company, Royalty Media Group, with the aim of empowering women by promoting progressive ideas and images for women of color. “For women to attain the respect that we deserve, we must celebrate our champions and give support to our weakest links. Misogyny is another plague that, unfortunately, has poisoned our society, our minds, and our music. Instead of TALKING about the problem, we at Royalty Media Group decided to offer a SOLUTION. This website is about getting our voices heard and celebrating our champions as business minded and artistic spirits.”

Likwuid is currently a member of the group Rebel Starr. “When she raps, you can hear her love for the music in her voice,” says nationally syndicated radio personality Charlemagne the God, “Likwuid let’s her mind and soul, not her body, dictate her destiny.” She has received countless awards and recognition for her music to include Disc Makers/Taxi Top Artist in the Southeast (IMWS) award, JumpOff.TV Battle Winner, EOW Challenge Winner, Power 94.3 Freestyle Battle Champion, Charleston Idol Award, and numerous showcase winnings. Likwuid has been featured on MTV Asia, H20 on Demand, BK Magazine, WACH 57, Hot 103.9, Rise Up Radio, Rago Magazine and countless other mediums.

Sleepwalkers Unite posed our 5 “Walk with Me” questions to Likwuid, and this is what she had to say:

When did you first start Sleepwalking? (chasing after your dream)
I've always been a writer and a lyricist for as long as I can remember. I wrote my first rhyme when I was 8. However I didn't actually start pursuing my goal until around 2002.

What motivates you to keep going after your dream?
What motivates me is my sincere love for music. I was drum captain in high school and it's something about a snare pattern and bass kicks that gets me amped. I grew up listening to Motown and gospel while other kids my age where listening to ONLY hip hop. I loved hip hop then, but I also loved and respected writers and composers in other genres. I want to be that person that creates that song the generations can sing together...timeless music. My motivation is my love for music and my passion to want to bring all races, all ages, and all genders together through my words.

Wake up: What have been some of the biggest challenges in going after your dream?
The hip hop culture is entirely too misogynist and it's becoming disgusting. I can't stomach half of the rappers/emcees that I truly respect as artists. It's challenging to love and respect a culture that boldly HATES and DISCRIMINATES against you.
So it's like a double standard...sometimes I want to be known as one of the most talented women in hip hop and then sometimes I don't even want to be associated with it. Right now I'm on my W.E.B Dubois Double Conscious tip...the gender version. Lol.

Don’t sleep on this: What’s one thing you have learned in your craft that fellow Sleepwalkers shouldn’t sleep on?
You HAVE to know your music and you HAVE to know your music BUSINESS. ALL contracts have fine print and EVERYONE is trying to get over. Don't trust anybody...well, I would say, don't put anything past anybody. My best friend even hustled me for a measly $200.
Also be ready to love unconditionally. There are going to be a lot of people that LOVE you and there will be a few that despise you because of what you do. You have to keep focused and not be swayed by either. Just make love to the globe...one person at a time!

Top 5 accomplished Sleepwalkers you admire in your craft and why?
HMMMMM, that's a toughie being that I admire so many folks for so many different reason. Unlike most emcees, I'm not a complete egoist, so I can give respect when it's due regardless how I personally feel about a person:

1. Homeboy Sandman: This guy is the hardest working man in the NY hip hop scene. He reminds me of what one of my coaches used to say...HEART will take you further than TALENT. Are there doper emcees out there, of course, do they have as much heart as this guy...DOUBT IT!

2. Nina B: This woman has created a woman from the ground up. I don't understand how she hasn't received the Unsigned Hype title in the Source. Like most emcees, that happen to be female, Nina B is not only lyrically sound, but also business savvy. I dig her a lot.

3. Rebel Starr: Yep, I said it! My group has had so many doors close and open it feels like we are on a revolving door trajectory. First we get on 3 tours one with Bow Wow, one with Talib and one with Lyfe Jennings. Then we landed a slot on MTV TRL just to get slighted by 50 Cent. Then we got our song placed in an MTV Networks indie film only to have our video release party canceled due to a murder at the venue (a week before our event). To add we finally get offered a record deal, only to find out it's a single deal and they want 90% of our publishing. THANKS, but no thanks.
So after ALL that, we had to start all over and WE ARE STILL here. We got the URB NEXT 1000, we are rocking every stage in NYC (finally getting paid shows) and we are almost done with the album. All those ups and downs just made us stronger!

4. Midi Marc: We share the same birthday with Rakim...which automatically makes us awesome! Midi is not only a true lover of music, but he is also a wise business man. Midi has not only worked the web, but has found a way to make the web work for him. Every time I hear a beat from Midi, his growth shows. He's also taken the time to brand himself and I think he's going to definitely make it as a music professional.

5. Peace: I can honestly say that I have the pleasure of being a fan of such a really good friend of mine. Her music is soothing and if you've spent any time with her you know that music is her true and only passion. I think that she is industry ready and she will make her mark as a musician and songstress.

Sleepwalking is hard to do! I'm sure you'll agree that Likwuid has had her share of trials, but she continues to push forward! The amazing thing is...because she hasn't given up, things are working for the best and she's living her dreams! I'll keep you updated on her progress, but I think soon enough she'll be a household name. If you’d like to contact this Sleepwalker, you can find her at the following:

www.myspace.com/likwuidstylez
www.myspace.com/rebelstarrmusic
www.royaltymedia.net

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome read!!! It could be argued that I'm being baised because I'm a friend and a fan of Likwuid, but whatever..I really enjoyed this post and I'm honored that she mentioned me.

    ReplyDelete