Thursday, April 16, 2009

Don't Sleep on This: They are Watching!


Now I know as Sleepwalkers we all want to grind. We want to work hard to achieve our goals. Sometimes starting from the ground up with our business and/or dreams makes us feel that we must reach out to people on our social networking sites in whatever way we can…but please, don’t be stupid! The Bible, The Art of War, any gangster movie, they all tell you to watch what you say and that too many words are never a good thing.

Be careful what you say on Twitter, Facebook, and really just in life in general…especially when you have a paper trail. I’ll give you a few articles to read up on, like this one about the boy who got fired from Cisco before he even got the job all because he wanted to express himself on Twitter. He made the mistake of revealing his cards all too soon. Yet, at the same time…maybe he should have been honest with himself from the get go.

If you truly want to build your brand or just your social network online this article is perfect: six reasons why no one likes you online. This was a great informational for me to think about and I’m sure if you’re trying to build a network you will agree. Here's a great article on leaders to learn from on Twitter entitled "The Leadership Playlist".

At the end of the day, I try to remember that if I’m trying to make a dream come true where I have eyes on me, then I need to put my best foot forward. That doesn’t mean I can’t joke with friends online, but that does mean that if a potential client or employer can see me…I’m not going to be as silly as I may be in person. Does that mean be fake or lie? Of course not! Just be wise! There’s a time and a place for everything. I just wanted to share some nuggets I learned, feel free to share some you've learned.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment